Located in the heart of the old town, with the main façade of the church facing the Market Square and two side portals to Caballerías and Portales streets, La Redonda is surely one of the best known images of our city.
The first news of this church dates from the end of the 12th century. It seems that it was a Romanesque temple with a polygonal or circular plan, of which today only the nickname by which it is known remains: La Redonda.
In 1453 it obtained the rank of collegiate church, by merging with that of San Martín de Albelda, which caused a more extensive rebuilding. It was rebuilt in the 16th century and subsequently underwent a large number of transformations. Was declared Insigne (Distinguished) by Pope Benedict XIII according to the bull of the year 1727. And in 1959 she was promoted toco-cathedral .
The building has three naves, of equal height, divided into five sections. In the 17th century, the temple was the object of an extension for its head and in the 18th century for its feet. From this period, the two lateral façades can be highlighted, built to the south and north, and dedicated to the Asunción and San Martín, as well as the great main portal, which overlooks the Market Square.
Portada de los Ángeles is a large three-section altarpiece flanked by two towers known as “the twins”, an emblematic example of the so-called Rioja Baroque.
The towers they were projected by Juan Bautista Arbaizar and finished by Martín Beratúa. In 1756 the work on the towers and the chapel was completed. Its design had a great influence on other towers in our region and there are similar ones in Briones and Haro. All of them were built with several superimposed bodies; the lower ones have a square section, the upper one octagonal and a spire lined with pinnacles as the finish.
When accessing its interior, the main altarpiece, baroque style , which represents the image of the tree of Jesse. It is considered a masterpiece with artistic works by Becerra, Navarrete el Mudo or Gil de Siloé.
It also highlights the choir stalls, sculpted by Arnao of Brussels. In addition, in the different chapels of the lateral naves you can see paintings by Navarrete el Mudo, the Penitent Magdalene, the carving of the Immaculate Conception by Gregorio Fernández and the mausoleum of General Espartero, as well as the sculpture of the Holy Sepulcher, an image of extraordinary sculptural value.
Inside La Redonda there is a painting titled The Calvary, attributed to Michelangelo .
Portales Street, 14. 26001 Logroño.
Free entry, coinciding with the opening hours of the Church (while there is no worship service).
8:30-13:00 and 18:00- 20:45 h.
Sundays until 2:00 pm
Guided tours for groups, contact in advance: 941 25 76 11